We all want to look our best, and with countless models and celebrities gracing not only our TVs but our smartphones, tablet screens, and magazines, it’s normal to want to look as fresh as they do. Of course, these celebrities have an army and a general glam squad to help them look amazing. Not to mention a fair amount of Photoshopping too! But it is entirely possible to look fresh-faced and blemish-free with handy makeup application.
The beauty world is growing day upon day, and with new products hitting the shelves constantly, it’s hard to keep up with new developments! Whether you’re a novice, a home user, or a professional, one particular development which would be a fantastic investment and skill to learn is airbrushing.
No, we’re not talking about computer programs to make you look perfect, and we’re not talking about Instagram filters either. We’re talking about a method of applying makeup, to give you a flawless, totally perfect look, without the need for Photoshopping!
We are of course talking about airbrushing, and in particular airbrush makeup systems.
As with any beauty product, there are countless on the market, so it’s important to understand what is the best airbrush makeup system for your needs, your level of competency, and for your budget. Never fear however, we’re going to go through several of the best, and bring you all the information you need!
Without further ado however, let’s explore exactly what this type of makeup involves.
Art of Air
What is an Airbrush Makeup System?
Professional makeup artists use airbrush makeup brands and systems regularly, because this type of application really does give the most flawless completed look, and is also known to be long-lasting. When using this type of application, the product is sprayed onto the skin using a piece of equipment called an airbrush. This avoids the need to make contact with the skin by sponges, brushes, or even the fingers. Of course, this can be a good option for anyone with sensitive skin. It's also much more hygienic, because there is no actual contact with the skin’s surface and a foreign body, or another hand.
The airbrush is powered by a compressor which is controlled by the makeup artist, to give the right amount of application in the right places, using what could loosely be described as a trigger. As you become more familiar with using an airbrush, you will be able to control the rate at which the product is applied to the face. Using this technique, you can give a lighter appearance in certain areas and heavier in others. Even contouring methods to be learnt using these techniques.
Whilst airbrushing has been used on film sets for many years, most notably on the set of Ben Hur, back in 1959, this type of application has recently grown in popularity in the mainstream. It is now very evident in bridal makeup and for special occasions. Of course, this has then pushed its way into the market for home use, and now you can purchase systems which give you that flawless celebrity look, for half the time and half the cash! Having said that, it’s certainly worth shopping around and checking out reviews on products before parting with cash. You want to ensure you’re getting the quality you deserve, and the results you want.
How to Use an Airbrush Makeup System
Practice certainly makes perfect here. Learning how to hold the airbrush and how to control the flow is something which you will pick up as you go along. Obviously, every airbrush system will have slight differences, so always go by the instructions you receive with the equipment. Also, make sure to check out airbrush makeup reviews before you purchase, to find out which is the easiest to use, and the best for your needs.
- Connect the airbrush makeup system together as per instruction – As we just mentioned, this will differ slightly between products, so follow instructions here.
- Insert the product – Into the airbrush cup you should insert the product you want to apply to the face. If you’re using foundation, around 4-6 drops of the best airbrush foundation will suffice, but other types of product will need less, so go for around 3-4 at most. You will learn how to tweak this as you become more used to your equipment.
- Proper positioning – Now you should turn on the airbrush and hold it at the correct distance from the face. This is normally 4-6” depending on the product you are using, so for foundation, make it around 4”, and for other products, no more than 6”.
- Begin your product application – Pull the trigger on the airbrush to get rid of any excess air before you begin, otherwise you may find that the product ‘splurts’ out, giving you a less than desirable result! Once this is done, you can pull back on the handle/trigger to apply your first lot of makeup. Always ensure that you keep the air flowing throughout.
- Control the application by using the trigger – As you use the system you will become more at ease with controlling the speed and velocity at which the product is expelled. However, you can easily pull back and forth on the handle/trigger to control the application – practice it a little first, to avoid wasting makeup. You can also learn to control the pressure on airbrush systems which have a dial, by experimenting with different settings.
- Use circular motions to apply – Keep the airbrush moving over the face, using small circles, checking to see if you have missed any spots as you go.
As you can see, there is nothing particularly difficult about using an airbrush makeup system. It’s really about practice and learning the proper technique with time. Professionals who use these types of equipment usually have higher pressure versions. The systems which are for home use aren’t going to be as strong – this means you can learn slowly, building up to more professional-style results as you go.
To make it easier for you in terms of choosing the right equipment for you, we’re now going to look at some airbrush makeup reviews, taking the hassle out of the process.
Best Airbrush Makeup System Reviews
Art of Air – Professional Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
This is one of the most highly rated airbrush makeup brands on the market, so you can expect high quality, as well as value for money. The kit comes with the airbrush and compressor system as standard, individual instructions and user guide, 6 piece foundation set, including fair and medium shades, and a black carry bag to keep everything together during your travels. As a bonus, you also receive blush, bronzer, shimmer, and an anti-aging primer product too. This is best suited to beginners, and is one of the easiest products to use, with a pressure dial and ergonomic airbrush.
- Complete set includes products and carry case, giving you a complete beginners’ kit
- Ergonomically designed airbrush is easy to hold and control· Compression pressure dial gives you several settings
- Individual user guide with ideas for looks included
- Not the cheapest product on the market, especially for beginner use
Photo Finish – Professional Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System Kit
The overall look of this set is very professional, despite it being very easy to use at the same time. A little lower in cost than our first choice, this product constantly receives very high airbrush makeup reviews, so you’re getting peace of mind from the start. You can choose between different packages with this product, but this basic one is the complete set, with all the tools you need to begin. It also has a matte finish range of foundations and other products, such as blush, concealer, and shimmer. The set all comes in a very attractive black and white carry case and is the ideal starter kit for the first time user.
- Ideal product range for anyone with sensitivities, as the makeup is perfect for all skin types, as well as being free of oil and mineral based
- Products are waterproof and smudge-proof, for long-lasting results
- Complete set including equipment and products
- Included black and white carry case
- There are very few downsides to this product, but if you need a darker shade of foundation then you will need to buy extra product to go with your kit
Temptu – 2.0 Premier Airbrush Makeup Kit
This particular band is another well-known option, and we know that brands give us confidence in our purchase. In this kit you will receive the airbrush compressor which is quite large and black in color. It also has the airbrush, which is a little larger to hold, making it ideal for first time users who need something a little more bulky to control the movement of the application. The kit also comes with a cleaning set, which helps you keep your brush unclogged, and a 12 color foundation starter kit, giving you a range of colors to suit every possible skin tone.
- Larger airbrush for beginner use, this means you can hold and control your movements much easier as you learn
- Cleaning kit included in the set, so you don’t need to make any additional purchases
- 12 color foundation starter kit included
- Not the lightest kit on the market, so if you’re planning on taking it on your travels, it will take up quite a lot of weight and space
Pinkiou - Airbrush Makeup Set
This set comes in a choice of three different colors, namely red, white, and black, so you can tailor-make to your preferences! This is also a very low-cost set, so ideal for those who are starting out and who may not be sure if they are going to get the hang of airbrushing overall. The set is small and lightweight, so ideal for travel, and has three pressure settings so you can control the air flow and thus the application of the product. This set doesn’t come with any foundations or other cosmetics included, so that could be a downside for some users.
- Very low-cost for the actual kit itself
- Lightweight and compact for travel
- Available in three different colors
- Ideal for those who are starting out, thanks to low-cost and small size
- Can be used for airbrush makeup, but also for temporary tattoos, face pain, nail art, tanning, and also cake decorating!
- No products included with the kit
- Only three pressure settings, which is fine for beginners, but as you learn, you will probably want to upgrade to a kit with more settings available
Luminess – Air Basic Airbrush System
This is a very stylish starter kit, from a big brand name. The price is certainly higher than some of the other suggestions we have made in our review list, but you are getting proven quality, so this is something you need to weigh up. You also need to choose what color option you want to go for, from medium, light and dark. This means you don’t need to purchase extra cosmetic as you go along. Although this isn’t an ‘all-rounder’ kit with a bit of everything included. The kit itself is very lightweight and compact, so ideal for taking with you on your travels, and the products are all dermatologically tested for safety too.
- High quality cosmetics included with the kit
- One shade choice means you can tailor-make for your own personal preferences, rather than having a little of everything included
- Compact and lightweight kit for travels
- Larger airbrush makes it easier for beginners to hold and control movements
- Doesn’t come with a bag to keep everything inside
- One shade only is a pro, but if you want to mix and match, this is a disadvantage too
- Higher price
Aeroblend – Airbrush Makeup Personal Starter Kit
Again, this isn’t the cheapest option on the market, but it is one which comes with some of the best airbrush foundation products included, so you could argue you’re getting serious quality. This is an ideal starter kit for beginners. It contains everything you need, and has several compression settings, so you can experiment with application. The system is also very quiet, so you can use it wherever you like without disturbing anyone.
- Quiet use
- A range of cosmetic products included
- Big brand name
- Dial setting for the compressor, giving you several options
- Slightly higher price than some other starter kits
Belloccio – Professional Beauty Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
This is a great set for beginners because it gives you everything you need. It comes with a very cute carry case, and it also has a free DVD, which shows you visually how to use the set, rather than relying on written instructions. This is the ideal way to learn the best way to use this set. The compressor itself has three settings and the kit is sleek and silver, compact for travel. The kit comes with a cosmetics starter kit in various shades, as well as primer and blending sponge, to give you everything you need to get started.
- DVD included to give you visual pointers and instructions
- Compact and lightweight design
- Three compressor settings
- Carry case included
- Cosmetics starter kit also included
- The cosmetic bottles included are quite small, so you’re likely to run out quickly
Tru - Airbrush Makeup Basic Kit
This kit is ideal for those who aren’t too sure if airbrushing is for them, as a starting point. Obviously, after learning how to master the skill, the chances are you will upgrade, but this is a great way to get into it. The kit includes various shades of foundation, so you can pick your ideal blend. The airbrush itself is slightly thicker to hold, which is again great for those who are starting out since it helps you to hold it properly and control the flow of the air and product. The cosmetic included is also proven to last for up to 18 hours, so once you have applied, you don’t have to worry about touch ups.
- Great starting kit for beginners
- Cosmetic is proven to last up to 18 hours and various shades are included in the kit
- Slightly thicker airbrush to give extra control for those learning the art of airbrushing
- Three compression settings
- Quite a bulky and heavy item compared to some other kits, so perhaps not the best to take with you on your travels
Dinair – Airbrush Makeup Starter Kit
You might be paying more for this kit, but you certainly get more than what you would if you paid less! This kit comes with a huge number of different cosmetics, cleaning items and products, as well as the equipment itself. The user guide also gives you plentiful information and ideas on makeup looks to recreate. The air hose on this particular product is also extra long. At 6ft, that means you don’t have to be that close to the nearest flat surface to be able to use the equipment easily.
- A large amount of cosmetics and equipment included in the kit
- Basically everything you need to begin with airbrushing
- Long air hose, so you can create looks easily, without having to be too close to a plug or table
- Informative user guide, with ideas on looks to recreate
- Expensive first outlay cost, which could be too much for some beginners
These ten best airbrush makeup system choices are all ideal for beginners, and mostly come with a range of cosmetics to use too. Which one will you go for, as you create flawless, photo-ready looks?